College & High School Accreditation Guidelines

Section 2.E.
College Training
Accepted Creditials

College Training

Section II.   D    College & High School Acceptable Credentials

I.    General Policies as regards acceptance of High School or GED credentials

A. A High School diploma must be recognized by any one of the 50 states to be a valid diploma.  Recognition by any other source other than a state's Department of Education or equivalent is not acceptable as a valid diploma.
B. A GED accepted by any states Department of Education or equivalent is acceptable, but no other source of validation is acceptable.
C. A person who does not have a valid High School diploma or a GED, but has successfully completed 12 college semester hours of accredited course work from an accredited college will be recognized as the equivalent of a High School or GED achievement..

II.    General Policies as regards acceptance of College course work or degrees

A. Only course work or degrees from accredited colleges will be recognized by this agency.
B. Only the following College Accreditation Organizations are recognized by U.S. Department of Education and Head Start of Greater Dallas
1. MSA - Middle States Commission on Higher Education
2. NASA - Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges and Universities
3. NCA - Higher Learning Commission of North Central Region
4. NEASC - New England Association of Schools and Colleges
5. SACS - Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
6. WASC - Western Association of Schools and Collges
7. DETC - The National Distance Education and Training Council
8. HLC - The Higher Learning Commission
C. A college transcript is required to determine eligibility when college degrees or specific course work is required.

III.    Equivalent Degrees or Certificates

A. This is not always an easy term to define, but to qualify as an equivalent degree the substitute degree must have some course work that is the same or similar to the required degree course work.  For example, if a job requirement states it will accept a Bachelor Degree in Education or equivalent, an acceptable alternative could be a degree in Psychology if there are education or learning related courses on the transcript.  The main point that would make this substitute degree acceptable is that Education is a specialty branch of the field of Psychology.  A business degree would not be acceptable even if the person has courses in education on their transcript.

The early childhood education or child development courses do have to be included within the degree program as long as the degree program is a people oriented degree, such as Social Work, Personnel, Physical Education, or a general degree with some education included.  There must be a minimum of 6 courses in early childhood education or child development from an accedited college to qualify for an equivalent degree.  One of these six could be a course in Developmental, Educational, or General Psychology.

B. Graduate degrees would be acceptable for substitute degrees, if they are in the same field or related field.  For example, a job calls for a Bachelors Degree in Social Work, and an applicant has a Bachelors Degree in Accounting, but a Masters Degree in Social Work, this would be acceptable.


“If swimming is a good way to get in shape, why do whales look the
way they do?”

            George Carlin


Return to Training Page      Training Handbook